Sunday, July 1, 2007

Oh hey!

I guess it's been a full month without posting. It seems longer than that. So I guess I'll take this time to explain what I've been up to in that time. I'm working a lot to hopefully make it to Europe by the end of the summer. I'm pretty positive I'll have no trouble making it to Ireland for the workshop with Brad Temkin, however I'm doing my best to save up so me and Trev can travel from Vienna, to Prague, to Paris, to London, to Dublin, to Shannon and make it in time for the workshop. That's the part that's difficult right now, but 5 jobs are working their way toward it. So that sums up the past month basically. Working.

Haha Trev and I have been assisting Anna Shteynshleyger and she took a test portrait of us for one of her shots:

Probably one of the best photos of us ever taken, and kind of looks like a Wedding or Christmas Party invitation we would make.

Although the new schedule has given me really limited time to get personal work done, it's given me a lot of time to think about my work. Also, being without a view camera has forced me to fall back in love with my Mamiya, which I've been using as much as I can. Hand-holding it doesn't seem as ridiculous as it used to. I'm actually starting to really enjoy photographing with the tank that way. Here's some new ones, I'll hopefully get some time to update more when I scan more this week.


I think I went on a little black and white portrait binge for awhile. Neopan 400 @ 1600 in xtol, what do you think? Kind of strange tones in my opinion.

This one from the same roll ^.


Then I tried some Acros 100 in xtol, and overprocessed it a bit by mistake, but..I like:




A couple weeks ago my friend Kristen from New York and my friend Kristy from Freeport came back for a few days, it was good to see them again.




I think I've come to the conclusion that I like Kodak 160NC more than 160ProS, a big step for me. So long, friend...



I've also been attempting a form of street photography with my Mamiya, a little difficult with it's weight and needing to lock the mirror up, but I'm getting quicker. Here are a few, I'm pretty sure all shot on HP5+ at 1600 in xtol.


You can see me in there if you look real close^.




This one's from awhile ago though.
And then there's some color.



I've also been trying to figure out how to get this "Bean" project going. I tried bringing this mamiya street style to "the Bean" to see what I could do with it.




In other surprising news, two pieces of mine were accepted into the CoPA Exhibition in Milwaukee.

It's from July 27th-August 31st at Walker's Point Center for the Arts. It'd be awesome if you could make it out. The opening is on the 27th from 4-9pm. Take care guys!

3 comments:

Chiara said...

matt that's awesome, congrats!

Anonymous said...

hello Matt, thanks for the comment on my blog. You already know what I think of your work ;) I like this entry a lot.

milkweedmouth said...

i love that girl under the bean.
its fantastic